Types of Lawn Mowers You Should Try
There are different types of lawn mowers available in the market. They vary depending on the task which they can accomplish among other factors. In order to buy the best lawn mower, you need to compare different varieties available so that you will decide on the best. If you have a large lawn such as golf course, then you need to go for a lawn mower which will allow you to cut grass in large areas at fast speed. Among fast lawn mowers include tow behind and gas powered models.
- 1 Types of lawn mowers
- 2 The Best Manual Reel Mowers in the Market
- 3 Self-Propelled Mowers
- 4 Uses of self-propelled mowers
- 5 Top rated self-propelled lawn mowers
- 6 Push Mowers
- 7 The best Push Mowers in the market which we recommend
Types of lawn mowers
- Manual-Reel Mowers
- Self-Propelled Mowers
- Push Mowers
- Lawn Tractors
- Zero-Turn-Radius Riders lawn mowers
- Self-Propelled Mowers
- Tow-Behind Lawn Mowers
- Robotic lawn mowers
There are different types of lawn mowers available. We have scrutinized each type to make it easier for you when trying to buy.
The lawn mowers depend on your energy to drive them. They have curved blades which will cut as you push them. They are perfect for simple operations.
Pros of manual reel mowers
- Eco friendly
- Quiet operation
- Safe operation
Cons of manual reel mowers
- Unsuitable for grass taller than 1½ inches or trim closer than 3 inches around obstacles
- No dispersion of clipping like the case of rotary version
- Costly upkeep because they require occasional blade adjustment
- Best for small lawns
The Best Manual Reel Mowers in the Market
1. Fiskars Staysharp Max Reel Mower, 18-Inch
It is a perfect choice for those who will not like to use oil or electricity. The mower has inertia drive reel for efficient cutting capability. Fiskars is 30% easier to push when compared to other brands.
Highlights of the model
- Smart designs
- Eco friendly reel mower
- Advanced technology (30% more efficient when compared to other brands)
- Cut all grass types (it can be used to cut tough varieties including Zoysia, Augustine, Bahia and Bermuda)
- Delivers 17 inch cut width
- Three year warranty
2. Fiskars 17 Inch StaySharp plus Reel Mower (6207)
The inertia drive technology allows it to achieve 75% more cutting power when compared to standard reel lawn mowers. It throws grass forward from your feet. The reel lawn mower is 40% easier to push compared to standard reel mowers.
- Smart design for cleaner cut
- 40% easier to push compared to standard reel lawn mowers
- Durable design
- Throws grass forward for greener cut
3. Brill 78371 Razorcut 38 15-Inch Reel Push Lawn Mower
This is a German engineered reel mower. Brill 78371 is perfect for small and medium size lawns. It has adjustable height deck for convenient cutting. The lawn mower tackles tough varieties of grass with great ease.
Why You Should Buy the Reel Lawn Mower
- Silent cut design (reel blades do not contact the cutting bar)
- Ergonomically shaped frame fitted with foam rubber handle hence more comfortable to push
- No gas or fumes
- Sealed bearings hence no extra maintenance is required
- Flame Hardened steel blades hence eliminates frequent sharpening
4. Brill 15 in. Razorcut Reel Lawn Mower
This is among top reel mowers you can buy. The mower has been specifically constructed to tackle tough grass varieties. It performs very well when cutting Bermuda, Zoysia, St Augustine among other tough grasses.
Points to note
- Tackles tough grass
- 5 blades offer superior cutting
- Easy pushing
- Weighs only 17 lbs hence easy to use and store
- Silent cut design for less friction hence longer blade life
- 8-inch diameter wheels offer easy maneuvering
- Top Lawn Mower Brands
- Lawn Tractors Buying Guide
- Best foot massager for sale review
- The Best plantar fasciitis socks for sale review
- Best neck and shoulder massager for sale review
Self propelled mowers derive power from the engine to move. They are mostly gas powered. There are also electric models. They are easy to operate and can accomplish big tasks.
Pros of Self-Propelled Mowers
- Most cut 21-22 inch swath
- Handles both long and thick grass
- 3 in one (mulch, clip and bag)
- Electric model start with a push of a button
Cons of self-propelled mowers
- Gas mowers are noisy
- Emission from gas powered
- Hard to push when engine is off
Upkeep of self-propelled mowers
Gas powered models require regular tune ups. You will as well maintain regular oil changes. Electric models require less upkeep. Mostly they require blade sharpening.
Uses of self-propelled mowers
- Suitable for most lawns
- The best Self-Propelled Mowers in the market
Top rated self-propelled lawn mowers
1. Honda HRR216K9VKA 3-in-1
It is a self-propelled gas mower. The mower features auto choke technology. Remarkable features include:
- Smart Drive
- Variable speed
- Micro cut Twin Blades
2. Husqvarna 7021P 21-Inch
It has high rear wheels. The gas powered lawn mower is fitted with 160cc. This is very suitable for smaller yards. Some of the features we highlight include:
- 3-in-1 cutting system hence can mulch, rear bag, and side discharge
- 12-inch rear wheels which increase maneuverability over a variety of terrain
- Adjustable handle ensures ergonomic operation
- Can fold for storage
- Compliant for the state of California
3. Lawn-Boy 10732 Kohler XT6 OHV
The lawn mower is a rear wheel drive self-propelled gas machine. The rear drive system assures you perfect traction. Some of the great features include:
- Easy empty bag
- 2-Point Height-of-Cut System hence allows you to adjust highest easily
- 3 year Tru-Start Commitment (start with 1 or 2 pulls, if it fails Lawn-Boy will fix it for free)
- 79 pounds, cannot be retuned once bought
4. Troy-Bilt TB330
Troy has 163cc engine. It cuts 21 inch width. The rear self-propelled lawnmower is 3 in 1. This ensures it offers great services.
Highlights of the features include:
- Variable speed drive control
- Four top speed settings allows individualized comfort and control
- 163cc Briggs & Stratton engine
- 21″ TriAction cutting system with integrated premium deck wash
- 3-in-1 allows Side discharge, mulch and rear bag
Push mowers are among types of lawn mowers which you will push as they cut grass. They come in both electric and gas models. We have tested most four stroke engine from the category. They have 140 to 190 cubic centimeter displacement engine. Electric models obtain power from motor powered via cord or battery.
Pros of Push Mowers
Just like self-propelled lawn mowers, they are equipped with 21 or 22 inch swath. They can handle both long and thick grass. If you have weeds, they handle them very well. They are mostly 3 in 1. With a push of a button you will start cord or cordless models. They clip grass finely for it to cut as mulch for a better lawn grass.
Cons of push mowers
The gas push mowers are noisy. Ear protection is recommended. Electric models can mow up to 20 inches of width.
Upkeep of self-propelled mowers
Gas models require regular tune ups and oil changes. Electric models will only require occasional sharpening.
Uses of self-propelled mowers
Medium to small lawns which has little incline.
The best Push Mowers in the market which we recommend
1. EGO Power+ 20-Inch
It is among the top lawn mowers we recommend. Ego power plus allows up to 45 minutes run time. It can recharge in just 30 minutes. The mower is fitted with 56 volt lithium ion batteries which make it a great choice.
Highlights of EGO Power
- Fitted with advanced Arc-Lithium 4.0 Ah 56V Battery and Rapid Charger
- Folds quickly to achieve compact and upright storage
- 20 in. cut capacity
- Weather-resistant construction
2. BLACK+DECKER CM2040
It has 40V max lithium battery for longer cutting session. After buying the machine you will be offered a 15 gallon grass collection bag. Some of the features of the model include:
20-inch wide cutting path and 6-setting height adjustment from 1-1/2 inch to 4 Inch high
3. BLACK+DECKER CM1640
It comes with 40 volt battery. This makes it among top brands to check out. The cordless mower allows you to mow different areas of the backyard without interruption. The mower comes with 9.5 gallon grass box. The over has soft fabric but hard top.
- 6 height settings
- Comes with 2 40V Max Lithium Batteries
- Handle folds for easy & convenient storage
4. WORX WG775 Lil’Mo
The 14 inch cutting diameter mower is a cordless system. The battery fitted is removable. Grass collection hag assures users great convenience. The removable battery allows convenient charging away from the mower.
- Achieves 6,000 square feet in a single charge
- Light weight (33 pounds, making it a manageable mower)
- 3 IN 1 mower
- 8 inch cutting width
- Removable battery to be charged separate from mower
- Easy start switch-no pull starts